Thursday, December 31, 2009

Best advice on labour?

I'm getting induced tomorrow and I just wanted to know some advice before heading in to the hospital!Best advice on labour?
Do your best to relax. If they allow you to move around...then do so as much as you can. It will help things move faster.





Also try to avoid the Epidural for as long as you can. If you can avoid it all together, try to. You are being induced, and that already raises your risk for a c-section...if you have an epidural it will raise your risk even more. If you must have it.....then wait until you are at least 5 CM along.





Your body knows that to do...let it do what it needs to do.





Most important, GOOD LUCK!!! Try to enjoy this experience as much as you can...Best advice on labour?
Be prepared for the pain. It's one of the only natural processes where pain is a pre requisite. Remember your breathing techniques. trust yourself through the process. Know that everything will be ok and that you and baby are going to be fine. Fear nothing, this is a natural thing that your body knows how to do. and Face every contraction one at a time.. don't think about hours, just focus on one at a time and be good to yourself through this. Your going to do really great.
If it becomes to much for you have the epidural. It really does help. At some point during labor you may feel as if you are not getting a break from the pain. I did and I was not crazy about the idea of a needle in my back, however it helped me rest up to do the pushing. Never think for a minute that you need to get through it with no pain management.
it hurts a lot, but it's worth it when it's all over
breath and cooperate with the nurses and your doctor other wise it will make labor twice as hard on you and your baby
Go for the epidural and make sure you wear a sports or nursing bra and socks in the delivery room. Your feet will get really cold and you don't want ';the girls'; flopping around. Also, take some overnight pads. Don't plan on relying on the ones the hospital provides. They're awful and they leak.
Make sure you eat something lite. Wait as long as you can for your epidural that way you'll still be numb after you deliver and can enjoy the first moments with your baby and not have to worry about the pain after delivery. And don't forget to breath. Good luck
Just take deep breaths. Listen to the nurses. If you can take a bath as often as possible, this helped me a lot. Just remind yourself of the end result, and remember the labor will not last forever, it will end and you will have a beautiful baby as a result...Good Luck, and congratulations!!!!
My doctor gave me nubain, which I thought was totally worthless. They said it would ';take the edge off.'; All it did was make me sleepy between contractions, so when another contraction came along, it seemed like it jolted me even more.





Also, be open to change. Nothing will go exactly as planned. Stand up for yourself as well, if you don't feel the doctor or nurse is listening to you. I was at 1 cm, and just one hour later I asked my nurse to check me again, because I KNEW I had progressed a lot. She refused, saying there's ';no way'; I could have even gotten past two yet, and she would check me again in a few hours. I calmly demanded (seriously, I didn't yell!) that she check me again.....I was at 8 cm. She was shocked. Listen to your body.





Do what's best for you and don't be concerned about other people's feelings. Good luck!
DO NOT let them push you around. Communicate with your partner and family what your wishes are for labor. If this is your first, be aware that pushing for 2 hours is normal. Make them give you a darn good reason if they're talking about c-section. In fact, try to avoid one as much as possible.





Don't push the button on the epidural too much if you get one, it makes it hard to tell how to push and makes your labor last longer.





LISTEN to the lactation consultant. Ask her a ton of questions and make sure that she comes back often to check your progress. You will have a lot of questions, make sure you ask them--you're the only advocate that your baby has. Your milk will take 2-7 days to come in, don't allow the nurses to supplement with formula, it will cut your supply and undermine your nursing.





In fact, if you get any responses that you're not comfortable with, make sure you ask ';WHY?'; and demand a satisfactory response.
i LOVED the laughing gas! the epi didn't work for me, so through every contraction i would breath in the laughing gas, it doesn't get rid of the pain, but it helps you notice it less. try the epi though, it works for some people, i just wasn't one of those lucky women though! lol. good luck, and congratulations!

No comments:

Post a Comment