Monday, December 28, 2009

Mixed children? 10 points for the best advice. Thank you?

If you are mixed/ understand someone who are mixed.





When you/they were young like 3-4 years old. Have you/they ever wondered why your parents are so different?





I am just curious. Thank you.Mixed children? 10 points for the best advice. Thank you?
My father is White/Puerto Rican. My mom is Black. When I was 4 we were in the bath and I asked her why I was white and she was black. She explained to me that kids were a mixture of they're mom and dad and that my color was both of theirs mixed together. Interracial couples weren't as popular then as they are now and she would get alot of weird looks and comments about whether she was the baby sitter or who's kids we were. She also felt bad because I didn't want to play with darker skinned dolls, etc. It wasn't until I was in my late teens that I really understood or appreciated being mixed. I still get the constant ';What are you mixed with?';





My husband and I are deciding how to instruct our children to answer that. His mother is adopted and looks 'mixed' but never knew her parents or her heritage. I think all in all we've decided that race isn't as important as some people make it. Children just need to be taught to accept themselves and everyone else equally...Good Luck!!!Mixed children? 10 points for the best advice. Thank you?
I am the mother of three mixed children. Ages five, nine, and eleven. When my eleven year old who is the lightest...looks all white, was about three and my next daughter was born she asked ';How come Daddy and Tasia are brown and you and I are white?'; I told her ';Because God made us that way';. She never questioned me again. The other two kids never said anything about it. It does not seem to matter.





None of them ever wondered why my husband and I are different.
My daughter is mixed. She's 5 years old and has never mentioned anything about it.
At 3-4 I didn't even notice my parents were different. I think it was around 6 that I noticed that I was different.
Two of my nephews are mixed.. (mom-mexican, dad-filipino)... the oldest is 7 years old and knows spanish, tagala and english, so far, it does not phase him. I thinkl it depends where you grow up and how you are raised. Of course, I don't think hes gonna be talking about issues like this but he seems just fine.





However, my coworker is mixed and she said it never occurred to her because she was raised in an open loving home and her community was very welcoming... (her mom is mexican -spoke only spanish and her dad was filipino and learned to speak spanish to communicate with his wife.... isn't that cute?)... I think if people are questionable about it, then you will probably be asking questions about it too.....





Thankfully, most people now a days are very welcoming and warm about it..





My child will be mixed as well and of course my family has no qualms about it, all they want is everyones happiness and I think thats how it should have always been.
No my dad wasn't around but my sister and i are lighter then other kids ... that bothered me because people treated me different.
I have bi-racial neices that have never questioned the fact that one parent is different then the other.... they know my sister and our whole family are white and their father and his whole family are black.... there is NOTHING wrong with it and children will not think it is wrong unless they hear others talk that it is!!!
I have not had experience with this situation in particular, but I have to tell you that children in general are very accepting of what is around them. At such a young age, all they know is mommy and daddy, not that mommy might be different from daddy. Generally those differences become noticeable to them when they start to see that other people are taking notice of that fact. Fortunately, children aren't born with prejudices or pre-conceived notions....society takes care of teaching them that.
my brothers are both mixed. And from what he says..nope :) he never even thought about it. He didnt even know it was considered mixed until middle school :P It was his mommy and his daddy...nothing different.





:)
no, my kids are mixed and they never have had a problem and i never have had a problem im white there dad is black and a lot of kids now days are mixed
Not until middle school and it is usually the people of color that make comments about it. At least that is how it was with me. I think kids are a little more excepting of it now of days. I wondered about it once or twice, but seen other families like that so I didn't think much of it. BTW my mom is Mexican and my dad is white.
When I was five my BF was Italian. He spoke no english and I spoke no Italian. We got along great. When your that age you only know how to play. Adults could learn something.
I am mixed. I was not curious until about 7-8 years old. My mom was super fair and my father looked like an Indian (he is PR), at least that was my initial thought.





Being mixed is hard no matter what and there is an internal conflict that must be overcome. It is important for both parents to be honest and to allow the child to embrace BOTH cultures.





But unlike some ignorant people think it is not a sin to blend the races. People love who they love and you all know love is blind.

No comments:

Post a Comment